The study is carried out according to an individual study plan (ISP), which is approved by the subject area board (SAB). For each study programme, specific requirements are set (completion of subjects, passing a language examination, passing internships, the nature and number of publications, etc.), which are part of each ISP. The student is obliged to create his/her ISP in cooperation with the supervisor in SIS in the module of "Individual study plan for PhD students". To log in to the SIS you need the CU Student Card, which you can collect at the Charles University (CU) card service at the CU Point. More information on issuing licenses can be found here. Without this pass, you will not have access to the SIS and therefore will not be able to set up an ISP.
After insertion, send your ISP to the supervisor (again only in SIS), who will send it to the SAB after approval. In the same application, an evaluation takes place after the end of each academic year, when it is also possible to modify the study plan according to current needs.
Before creating an ISP, it is necessary for the supervisor to list the topic of the dissertation in the SIS and assign the work to the student.
In the preparation of ISP, in cooperation with his/her supervisor, the student:
- specifies the content (subjects, seminars, courses, internships, conferences, etc.), which is determined by the requirements of individual SABs;
- plans the fulfilment of all duties in individual years;
- states the expected procedure of solving the dissertation project.
The dissertation project should include the following points:
- Formulation of the problem and definition of the topic
- Literature review
- Objectives of the work, scientific questions, hypotheses
- Research file (data source)
- Research methods
- Collection organization
- Data processing
- Expected use of the results
- Time schedule
- Bibliographic references
The supervisor approves the proposed ISP and submits it to the SAB for assessment and approval. Study plans are completed only electronically in the SIS within the deadlines set by the schedule of the respective academic year.
The students choose subjects after consultation with their supervisor from the offer of lectures for doctoral studies, or from recommended lectures intended for master's studies; they can also enrol in lectures offered by another faculty of Charles University or another university or college.
Each student's ISP must include the following items:
- Courses recommended by the relevant SAB.
- Examination in the English language (D0400003), which is mandatory for all DSP students at the Second Faculty of Medicine, Charles University (according to the requirements of the specific SAB). Information on the language test is available on the website of the Department of Languages, Second Faculty of Medicine, Charles University.
- Scientific conference of the Second Faculty of Medicine, Charles University (DS002), which is held each year in April.
- Foreign internship (DS025) according to the requirements of a specific SAB.
- Publication activity according to the requirements of a specific SAB.
- State doctoral examination (D0400001), including an indication of the academic year of planned termination.
- Defence of the dissertation (D0400002), including an indication of the academic year of planned termination.
Specific requirements of individual SBs for courses, publishing activities, internships, grants, conferences and other obligations can be found here by clicking on the relevant SAB. The list of courses and seminars organized within the association of doctoral study programmes in “Biomedicine” is available at the website of the Czech Academy of Sciences.
As part of the annual evaluation, the doctoral student updates the fulfilment of the obligations of his ISP. Many of them are linked to information in the SIS (subjects), or imported into the SIS from external databases (publications, internships, grants). At the same time, the procedure for solving the dissertation is always filled in, or the originally planned procedure is corrected according to current scientific results. Specific publications, conferences, internships, etc. will be completed by the student after their completion in the preparation of documents for the annual evaluation (if they are not already registered in the SIS).