Long Term Residence Permit
If you are a non-EU citizen and need a visa, you will have to arrange a long-term residence permit once your long-term student visa expires. The visa expires after six months, after which you can apply for a new permit every year.
You can file an application for a long-term residence permit for study purposes at the Czech Ministry of the Interior office. You must apply no sooner than 120 days and no later than 1 day before the period of your permitted stay expires. Download the application form.
Along with your application for a long-term residence permit you should submit the following:
- A travel document (your passport)
- A document confirming the purpose of your stay in the territory (issued by the Study Department or Petra Fabingerová)
- Proof of accommodation
- Proof of funds, if it concerns university studies or unpaid professional work experience.
- A document on travel medical insurance for the period of your stay in the Czech Republic, complex health insurance which covers not only emergency hospital visits, but also other outpatient medical expences such as vaccinations, routine hospital visits, blood test and forth. Suggestions: Všeobecná zdravotní pojišťovna (VZP; General Health Insurance Company) or UNIQA.
1500 CZK worth of State Marks (kolek in Czech). They are available at any post office at the ‘pokladna’ window. Buy one worth 1000 CZK and one worth 500 CZK.
- Upon request, a document similar to an extract from the Penal Register record
All of these documents should be originals, not copies, and must be less than six months old!!!
The Ministry of the Interior student office (‘studentské pracoviště’) is located at Hládkov 682/9, Praha 6 – Střešovice.
Opening hours (appointments only) are Monday to Thursday 8.00–16.00; Friday 8.00–12.00.
To make an appointment, register on the website https://frs.gov.cz/cs or call 974 820 680 (Czech only), or contact Mgr. Petra Fabingerová at for help.
The office should process your application within 30 days. If this limit is approaching or has passed you can check whether your application has been approved on the Ministry of the Interior website.