During July, medical students from foreign universities trained as part of the IFMSA exchange program at the departments of the Second Faculty of Medicine and the Motol University Hospital. At the end of their internship they presented their experiences from various departments in selected case reports.
"At the beginning of their month-long stay, the interns learned that a Case Report & Research Conference would be held in three weeks. In addition to participating in the overall operation of the wards and patient care, they had to choose one interesting case that they encountered. They focused more on this case, found out all the details about the patient from the anamnesis and diagnosis through specific treatment to discharge, and then presented this case report at the conference, " says Veronika Časarová, student of General Medicine at the Second Faculty and Local Coordinator for Clinical Internships in under IFMSA.
"This event is beneficial and interesting for everyone, both by sharing experiences from different departments, but it also promotes more intensive communication between IFMSA interns and doctors," she adds.
Due to visa problems, this year's internships are practically limited to European countries – students from Spain, Moldova, Romania, Serbia, Lithuania and Hungary interned at medical faculties in Prague in July.
Interns presenting on behalf of the Second Faculty of Medicine at the Case Reports & Research Conference
- Leyre Navarro Gracia – Spain, Medical School Universidad de Zaragoza, 3rd year, intern at the Department of Radiology, presentation Cystic Fibrosis
- Irina Ioana Iurian – Romania, University of Medicine, Pharmacy, Science and Technology "George Emil Palade" of Targu Mures, 4th year, intern at the Department of Paediatrics, presentation Infant After Gastroschisis
- Egle Tamosiunaite – Lithuania, Vilnius University, Faculty of Medicine, 3rd year, intern at the Department of Anaesthesiology and ICM, presentation Survival of a Polytrauma Patient after a Free Fall from 15 metres
- Liuba Dumbraveanu – Moldova, Medical School USMF "Nicolae Testemiţanu", 6th year, intern at the Children’s Heart Centre, presentation Pediatric Surgery for Aortic Coarctation
- Natalia Moraru – Moldova, Medical School USMF "Nicolae Testemiţanu", 3rd year, intern at the Department of Neuroscience, presentation Glial Cells after Brain Injury and Transplantation
Interns presenting on behalf of the First Faculty of Medicine at the Case Reports & Research Conference
- Claudia Sopelana – Spain, presentation Laparoscopic Prostatectomy
- Marta Puente – Spain, presentation Selected Genetic Aspects of Male Infertility
Interns presenting on behalf of the Third Faculty of Medicine at the Case Reports & Research Conference
- Reka Novak-Farkas – Hungary, presentation Abdominoperineal Resection Due to Infiltrating Rectal Adenocarcinoma
- Nebojsa Kragovic – Serbia, presentation Total Hip Replacement
- Titas Tamulevicius – Lithuania, presentation Pertrochanteric Fracture
Four students, who spend their internship at the Second Faculty, shared their experience:
Leyre Navarro Gracia (Spain)
I am studying at the University of Zaragoza, Faculty of Medicine. I just finished the third year. I spend my internship in the Department of Radiology. Every day I was doing different things within the radiology – in emergency, in paediatric and so on, doing radiographics, ultrasounds, CTs, MRIs. I could observe the doctor´s work in an intervention room or in an emergency, there has been a lot of variety. This was my first IFMSA experience and it was very nice.
Egle Tamosiunaite (Lithuania)
I am studying at the Faculty of Medicine, Vilnius University. I just finished the third year. I spend my internship at the Department of Anaesthesiology and ICM. It was very useful, because I am interested in polytrauma management, and here in Czech Republic, the doctors at the anaesthesiology department are responsible for polytrauma patients, so it was really good experience to go with them to the emergency room and to see how polytrauma patients are managed. It was very interesting.
Irina Ioana Iurian (Romania)
I am studying at George Emil Palade University of Medicine, Pharmacy, Science and Technology of Targu Mures at Targu Mures. I just finished year four. My internship was in the Department of Paediatrics. The doctors were amazing, they explained all and the atmosphere was very good, I really liked it. In the free time, we became friends with the other incomings. We visited places, towns and even the mountains. Prague, of course, is amazing. One of the most beautiful cities.
Natalia Moraru (Moldova)
I am studying at Kishinev, State University of Medicine and Pharmacy "Nicolae Testemiţanu", which is actually the only university for medical studies in Moldavia. We are a small country, so that´s why we only have one medical university. I just finished the third year. My internship was part of a research exchange. I spend it at the Department of Neuroscience, but most of my work I have done at IKEM, where I was part of the Departments of Neuroregeneration and Cellular Neurophysiology. I have done a lot of things, including lab work. The whole IFMSA experience was fun, we were 11 exchange students from different countries, sharing how everything works in our countries. We have seen not just Prague, but other places in the Czech Republic like Cesky Krumlov, Kutna Hora, the mountains or Karlstejn. We have done a lot of walking!